Course Number and Title: ENT 106 Business Procedures
This course teaches entrepreneurs to state their business passion in practical terms with methods for analyzing their market and competition, setting achievable goals, and focusing on strategic business planning. Students explore business processes in the entrepreneurial environment. Topics include the probability of risks along with the development of crisis management, disaster recovery, and business continuity plans.
- Illustrate the importance of business planning. (CCC 1, 4, 5; PGC 1, 2, 4)
- Prepare a business concept, and interpret its industry trends. (CCC 3, 4, 5, 6; PGC 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
- Describe the role and importance of target markets. (CCC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; PGC 1, 2, 4, 8)
- Interpret competitive analysis and risk management. (CCC 1, 3, 4; PGC 1, 2, 3)
- Illustrate the role and impact of operations and logistics on business functions. (CCC 1, 2, 5; PGC 1, 3, 4, 8)
- Explain current and appropriate technologies to support business functions.(PGC 6)
- Explain the importance of community involvement and social responsibility in business planning. (CCC 2, 3, 5, 6; PGC 1, 6, 7)
- Illustrate business milestones and the important elements of an exit plan. (CCC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; PGC 1, 4, 6)
See Core Curriculum Competencies and Program Graduate Competencies at the end of the syllabus. CCPOs are linked to every competency they develop.
Upon completion of this course, the student will:
- Illustrate the importance of business planning.
- Identify the components of a successful business plan.
- Explain various business concepts.
- Distinguish strategic positioning as it relates to a business’s focus.
- Discuss the importance of control, creativity, and cash to a business.
- Describe business resources that will aid in planning a successful business.
- Prepare a business concept, and interpret its industry trends.
- Explain the factors involved in choosing a business.
- Identify key development stages and business milestones.
- Explain the differences in legal issues when forming a business.
- Choose a company name.
- Choose the products and/or services the business will offer.
- Write company objectives and mission statement.
- Illustrate past and future growth of an industry.
- Identify maturity characteristics of an industry.
- Discuss effects of economic conditions of the industry.
- Describe the role and importance of target markets.
- Identify the criteria used in determining a target market.
- Discuss the importance of analyzing demographics.
- Outline the steps in deciding upon a business’s geographic location.
- Define consumer lifestyle and psychographic description in selecting target markets.
- Discuss industry trends that affect a business.
- Interpret competitive analysis and risk management.
- Give examples of the factors necessary to perform a competitive analysis.
- Explain a company’s ability to compete effectively.
- Interpret barriers to entry for a business.
- Apply the different types of strategic risk management plans.
- Describe the benefits of a business’s strategic position.
- Identify risks that apply to a business and mitigation strategies.
- Explain business continuity, disaster recovery, and crisis management.
- Illustrate the role and impact of operations and logistics on business functions.
- Identify the key elements of the operations section of a business plan.
- Give examples of business facility options.
- Illustrate the importance of inventory control and methods to monitor inventory.
- Describe the importance of contingency planning in operations.
- Explain current and appropriate technologies to support business functions.
- Classify business functions in accordance to technology support needs.
- Distinguish applicable technologies for a specific business concept.
- Illustrate the benefits of the selected technologies and systems.
- Explain the importance of community involvement and social responsibility in business planning.
- Explain the advantages of social responsibility and community involvement.
- Identify aspects of being a good corporate citizen.
- Describe examples of social responsibility activities and projects.
- Illustrate business milestones and the important elements of an exit plan.
- Discuss the importance of goal-setting.
- Identify a company vision statement and company goals.
- Explain the importance of setting and achieving milestones.
Students must demonstrate proficiency on all CCPOs at a minimal 75 percent level to successfully complete the course. The grade will be determined using the Delaware Tech grading system:
Students should refer to the Student Handbook for information on the Academic Standing Policy, the Academic Integrity Policy, Student Rights and Responsibilities, and other policies relevant to their academic progress.
Calculated using the following weighted average
Percentage of final grade
Exams (4) (Summative) (Equally Weighted)
Business Capabilities Project (Summative)
Formative Assessments: Homework Assignments (Assignments/Activities/Quizzes, Participation, Discussion Boards, Participation, etc.)
- Apply clear and effective communication skills.
- Use critical thinking to solve problems.
- Collaborate to achieve a common goal.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical conduct.
- Use information literacy for effective vocational and/or academic research.
- Apply quantitative reasoning and/or scientific inquiry to solve practical problems.
- Demonstrate entrepreneurial leadership characteristics.
- Conduct market analysis and opportunity assessment.
- Perform risk assessment and select risk management strategies.
- Articulate a business vision and plan that demonstrates value to the marketplace and the investor.
- Plan capital formation to fund business start-up and operation.
- Utilize effective marketing, advertising and customer strategies.
- Integrate personal, professional, ethical and legal standards into business decision-making.
- Transform innovation into a product or service with sustainable commercial potential.
The College is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Students are encouraged to schedule an appointment with the campus Disabilities Support Counselor to request an accommodation needed due to a disability. A listing of campus Disabilities Support Counselors and contact information can be found at the disabilities services web page or visit the campus Advising Center.